I often talk with clients about the concept of the Law of Attraction. When I do it is usually around the Power of Positive thinking, and the idea that our thoughts and words have tremendous ability to transform our lives. That what we focus on grows and that we attract into our lives what we put out.
I’ve studied the neuro-psychology of it as well as the biological, evolutionary science and I am a firm believer that like attracts like and the Law of Attraction works.
What I didn’t realize is that the Law of Attraction is just one of a set of Universal Laws. So like eggs in a carton, a case of beer, or the days of Christmas; The Law of Attraction, hangs out with 11 others in a group of twelve.
In researching Attraction’s lessor know buddies and trying to find their origin I discovered The Kybalion, a book said to be published in 1908. I haven't read the book, and do not profess to be an expert, but in the spirit of making 2017 your best year yet I wanted to share my findings on these twelve bad boys!
1) The Law of Divine Oneness The first Law states that we are all connected; that really we are all one. This a mother of a big idea, and not one to write a sentence about and call it a day, but as complex as this idea is, it is really this simple: Everything we think, speak, do, and believe has an impact on others and the entire universe.
For me this brings to mind my yogic “Namaste” which has numerous translations, but for me boils down to “the light in me, honor the light in you.”
2) Law of Vibration The Law of Vibration explains that everything in the universe vibrates and produces energy. Not only do things in our physical world vibrate, but our thoughts, and feelings produce vibrations a well. This one seems to me to be foundational to the Law of Attraction, in that if everything has energy; everything affects us.
Knowing that everything has energy and is in fact connected, we can begin to manipulate our experience by putting out what we want more of. For me this is the foundation of my principles, Don your Rose Colored Glasses and The Path to Happiness is Paved Gratitude. If I am looking for the positive, thinking thoughts of gratitude and am confident that everything is OK; it is. So send out some good vibrations today! (Cue The Beach Boys)…"Good, Good, Good, Good Vibrations!"
3) The Law of Action You got to get moving people! When people criticizes the Law of Attraction, I think it is on the basis that they are leaving out the Law of Action. You gotta do the work!
Basically the law of action says in order to manifest your best life, or even to get shit done you must take action. You can’t sit on the couch eating Pringles wishing you would get fit. You need that spark, and ideally your action should support your best vision for your life. You actions are the gas that fuel your life experience. So fill your tank with words, feelings, thoughts and emotions that align with what you want to have be and do in this life.
4) The Law of Correspondence “As above so below; as within so without”
This Law works to explain that idea that our outer world and experience is simply a reflection of our inner world. So like the Michael Jackson song, Man in the Mirror “If you want to make the World a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change.”
So start with yourself, your reality is created by your inner most thoughts. Change your thoughts change your world, and by changing your world you can change The World.
5) Law of Cause and Effect The Law of Cause and Effect explains that nothing happens by chance or outside of the Universal Laws. Basically everything happens for a reason. Some people speak of this as Karma, or that “We reap what we sow.” What is important to note, is that is not just actions that count. Your thoughts and words put out vibrations and energy that have impact on defining your life. So begin today to give what you want more of.
6) The Law of Compensation When I think of the word compensation I think of wages paid for work done, or an exchange of energy for goods or services provided. The Law of Compensation is similar to the Law of Cause and Effect, and focuses on cause and effect nature between our actions and what we receive. When we give so to shall we receive. One of the core principles for living Your Big Bold Life is giving without expectation. I really believe that when you give, the giver receives as much if not more of a gift than the receiver.
7) The Law of Attraction This one is obviously the most sexy, or at least the most commercial as it is the one that made it to prime time. I suppose it is the culmination of the previous six rules, and that it is the more tangible part where your wishes are fulfilled, well sort of.
The Law of Attraction says that our thoughts, words, emotions, actions and feelings create energy which draws to us what we put out. Basically like attracts like. So positive thoughts and words, attract positive things into your life, while negative energy produces more of the same. Where attention goes energy flows.
The Law of Attraction became very popular with the release of The Secret and many people have experienced the positive effects of this law. I like the idea that we define our reality by what we look for. If I am running late and in my mind, my thoughts are racing, and stressing about being late; I will be late. But, if I am running late, and I say to myself, “Everything is as it should be, I’ll arrive right when I need to. I will make it on time.” I usually do.
8) The Law of Perpetual Transmutation of Energy The Law of Perpetual Transmutation of Energy is a Universal Law that should be taught to everyone as it speaks to our unlimited potential. This one states that all of us have within us the power to change anything in our lives. It speaks higher energy taking over and changing lower vibrations to a higher ones.
For some reason I always think of the power of exercise to transform my mood. If I am stuck in a rut, movement always helps, and lately the hotter the better (hot yoga, running etc). I visualize burning out the old to make way for the new!
9) The Law of Relativity You know the saying, “It’s all relative” right? This one is not about 6 degrees of separation to Kevin Bacon, or tracing your roots to the same family at the cradle of human kind. Not that kind of relative.
The Law of Relativity is all about suffering, and for that reason, is not my favorite! The Law of Relativity states that each of us will be given a set of problems, obstacles, challenges, etc. for the purpose of strengthening the connection to our inner knowing and trust in the Universe. This law is about staying heart centered when overcoming adversity. It also talks about an element of comparing your suffering with others that honestly is a bit of a turn off for me.
I suppose it is a coping mechanism that says, “no matter how bad your day is there is someone out there who has it worse.”To harness the power of the Law of Relativity I recommend subscribing less to the “what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger” side of the house and more to the Buddhist philosophy that honors the fact that to be human is to suffer. That we all suffer; and to focus on cultivating compassion for others and gratitude for what you do have.
10) The Law of Polarity The Law of Polarity explains that everything is dual, meaning that everything we see and experience has an opposite, but that this opposite is actually two different parts of the same thing.
Polarity is one reason manifestation doesn’t always work. If I am wanting financial abundance, but my thoughts are on the fact that I am broke, my energy is on the wrong side of the continuum. I love the visual of a continuum with two opposite poles: financial abundance far left, scarcity, far right. If I want to manifest abundance but I am focused on the fact that I am broke I will simply attract more scarcity to me.
Knowing about the Law of Polarity, we can use it, by reframing negative thoughts and words to their opposite, bringing the desired positive change.
11) The Law of Rhythm The Law of Rhythm states that everything vibrates and moves to specific rhythms. This is the Universal rhythm that governs seasons, cycles of the moon, tides, a woman’s menstrual cycle, and all patterns and stages of development. Each cycle is a tactical representation of how the universe works in a specific rhythm and flow.
You can use the Law of Rhythm to understand the basis of best timing, and ultimately how to rise above the difficult and negatives of the cycle, knowing this natural and this too shall pass. One of my favorite mantras is “Everything is as it should be” allows that I am in a cycle, and wherever I am today is simply part of the process or rhythm.
12) The Law of Gender The Law of Gender states that everything has a masculine and feminine, and that this is the basis for creation. Most obviously we need both masculine and feminine energy to keep our species going (hello!) but I also like the idea of the need to keep our own masculine and feminine energies in balance.
There are many different examples of the Law of Gender including Ying and Yang in Chinese Medicine, Ida and Pingala in the Vedas, Shiva and Shakti in yogic studies. Too much of either energy creates and imbalance in our bodies and our lives. To use the Law of Gender as a tool, you must become familiar with your own dominant energy and work to bring equilibrium between both genders.
So as you begin to manifest your best year yet in 2017, please keep all twelve of these laws in mind. Ideally if we all work to change our vibration to a more positive one, we can collectively increase the vibration of The World and The Universe (the capital T version). Let entering an address into a GPS, Waze or Google Maps on your phone; to increase your vibration simply align your thought, feelings, actions and intentions to the same positive destination.
Cheers to the Biggest, Boldest and Best 2017!
Make a Moment, Make a Day, Make a Life!